100 years ago today - Apr 5, 1923

[Richard R. Lyman]
At the regular weekly meeting of the Council of the twelve the matter of changing or permitting some changes to be made in our temple garments. * Four changes are proposed & nearly all the brethren seem to favor them. * 1. closing the crotch & using a button and a flap. 2. Eliminating the loose collar. 3. Using buttons instead of strings. 4. Shorter sleeves for women.

[A group of sisters led by Emma Smith and including Bathsheba Smith had fashioned both the garments and the temple clothing, and presented them to Joseph Smith for his approval. The collar on the garments had been put on because the sisters could think of no other way to finish it at the top, and they added ties because they had no buttons. The original cap in the temple clothing had looked something like a crown, but Joseph Smith had them redesign it to look more like a baker's cap.]

[Richard R. Lyman diary, Apr. 5, 1923 , Perry Special Collections, in Anderson, Devery; The Development of LDS Temple Worship, 1846-2000: A Documentary History, http://amzn.to/TempleWorship; The Temple Timeline (Masons, Ancient Temples, Garments and a Lot More), http://www.exploringmormonism.com/the-temple-timeline-masons-ancient-temples-garments-and-a-lot-more/]

No comments:

Post a Comment