125 years ago today - Sep 5, 1895

[Heber J. Grant]
... Several of the Delegates on the train assured me that I could have the nomination for Governor if I would accept it. The Utah Co. Delegates were solid for me. At Salt Lake I learned that all I needed to do was to say the word and I could have the nomination. I highly appreciate the compliment, and feel reasonably well assured that I could get the nomination were I to enter the fight, but I feel that it would be an unwise thing in view of the Church position which I hold. I called on Emily this AM and she was very much frightened for fear I was going to accept the nomination. I called at the office of the First Presidency and told them that I had been offered the nomination by a great many of the Delegates and that I had assured them that I would not accept. I intimated that I would do so if they desired it, and inasmuch as they said nothing to indicate that they would pleased to have me accept the nomination I wired to my cousin A. W. Ivins to use his influence to see that my name did not come before the convention, I did not care to have a few votes cast for me seeing that I did not want and would not accept the offer of the nomination ...

[Diary of Heber J. Grant, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

No comments:

Post a Comment