Following passage of the anti-polygamy Edmunds-Tucker Act by the U.S. Congress, the church is disincorporated and much of its property and assets are seized by federal officials. Church property is eventually returned on Oct. 25, 1893, about three years after the church had formally renounced the practice of polygamy. In 1896, a few months after Utah is admitted to the Union as the 45th state, church real estate holdings are also restored.
At the time of the disincorporation of the church in 1887, the Perpetual Emigrating Fund Company is also dissolved, never to be reformed. It is estimated that, over the lifetime of the program, the church expended about $12.5 million in goods, livestock and currency to assist Latter-day Saints in traveling to the Utah Territory from points around the globe.